Inside

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Goodbye to good old days of Daydreaming!

Monday morning took me to a Park with renewed energy. It felt good to see lively kids and unexpected students this early to a Park. I got there by chance, as I said Monday Morning energy brought me 40 minutes early to office and I had to wait in this small but beautiful park. As I watched the kids hanging and laughing and the students making final minute revision before exam, a strong energy beamed from each of them. Probably they were living that moment and each moment of life. Or may be I had returned from a lazy week to find other people so lively.

Human beings find ways to love nature

While I was watching those people, I started getting visualization. The kids were playing when I joined them as their contemporary age mate. I then turned to my right and found myself studying with the students. I got back in time, I started preparing anew for my intermediate exams. Then I came back to life. The rail of daydreaming had already gained speed. I had abandoned this engine many times but it kicks-in on getting fuel. Today lets talk about daydreaming. Daydreaming not as a phenomenon but a state of mind. It usually crawls in to our mind, gradually but steadily eats up human energy and leaves no room for creativity. It is destructive creativity.

Guess what? I would have touched the highest echelon of being a writer by now had I not given this creature free hand to trade inside my mind. That's true. Oh, you doubt it! Please don't tell me that... Okay fine, I would have been a widely read blogger of my country had I not given up to combat daydreaming . I hope that sounds logical. Or, for that matter I would have developed a brilliant writing style. Happy now?

Daydreaming was my favorite activity of  academic life. I sat in solitude for hours, literally hours, as long as 6 hours a day. During those uncontrolled contemplation I came up with ideas, stories, what-if scenarios and most of the time I emerged as a hero from those stories in the world of my own. There were moments of happiness, success, sadness, pain, suspense, failure, romance and love.

Once there lived this most amazing person on earth. He was so humble, caring and handsome. He took every pain to be part of all the social activities in his village. In a single day he got involved with a group of people digging out channel through a hilly terrain to irrigate the village's field, and the next hour he went to the school for teaching kids from his region. He would then return home for completing some ongoing chores there. It did not stop here, he offered his prayers regularly, and in the night he embarked on academic growth. This gave him a strange privilege and made a content life. Along with the activities what changed was his attire. He wore an old jeans with heavy joggers and full sleeves shirt with its color raised when he was at work with villagers. In school he put on decent dress.

During these activities he became part of the sweet chatters among elders, he listened to them and laughed with them. There were innumerable incidents on the way to work or home. Like, a stone slipping his feet and missing someone below the slope, or a stone rolling down a hill and missing him by scratch. Or, the amazing questions from some of his students about God, Science etc., and his own interesting findings during his study hours.

If you sit with your friends to tell and compile all these activities mentioned, with their minute details, it is going to extend to at least 2-3hours discussion or theater. And, for the above drama the stage was no other place than my brain in idle and busy hours of the day. The person was none but myself in the world of adventures. I went up to the extent of killing myself and I visualized my funeral many times. I saw people gathering; friends, family members and strangers, at my funeral. I listened people talk about me and my life. So strong was the appearance of my family and friends in the visualization of my daydream that their reaction left me weeping for minutes.

Why did I indulge in daydreaming? What was the benefit to me? Well, in the early days once our physical instructor at school (Jahageer) talked about daydreaming and the disease it leads us to, after finding many absent minded students among us.  I asked out of fear, "Sir what if it has become a habit of ours? How can we counter it?" His response was a warning not to let it become a disease to kill our creative brains. He instructed us to remain attentive and keep ourselves busy with activities. So to me the benefit was zero and there was consistent waste of precious time.

Why did I daydream? Because, I kept thinking about doing activities, instead of starting on the ones I wished to do. I have always yearned for keeping a journal in life since school days. But, every time I opened a diary or thought of starting on the first page of my diary, the thinking process kicked-in in a matter of seconds. This led me to imagine many beautiful and memorable passages in my journal 50 years from then. And made me look at numerous decorated stories of my life as a retired old man. When I would be back, a full hour or two had passed with the journal still blank in my lap.

Chase your dreams, it curbs the seeds of laziness

These kids in the park were chasing the idea of having fun early in the morning. A small wish of few friends to be together in the final minutes before their exams led some students to this serenity to embrace nature. They gave each other company before their educational combat. All of the above characters could have easily excused themselves for not coming here. The best possible option for the kids was to remain in slumber and kill the thought of early morning walk. Or they could have delayed it for the next time hence missing the opportunity for a lifetime. Or each student could have excused himself for self-preparation and thus missed a cheerful company. But, they said yes to their inner voice, thus eradicating the seed of laziness. At the same time they did not allow to stock "I wish/want" items in their brain. This ultimately stopped them from seeding daydream. They had the experience of what they imagined and now they won't sit imagining other possible outcomes of the idea which they had already accomplished.

Once we have an idea we should start following its action plan rather than deploying too much energy on thinking how and when to make follow up action. This thinking process once started finds ways to make the idea better but, only inside the human mind. Hence, it spreads the germs of delay; a thought that we might do it later, or next time or when we have proper time at our disposal so that we meet the best criteria set by our mind to complete the generated idea. This is the foundation of daydream. A sea of unlimited thoughts that engulf our mind, seeking possible outcomes for the ideas we wished to do in life but haven't dared to start it practically.




Morning Park and Bliss



The kids were embracing nature and nature was embracing them. They found happiness today, and they will aim for more blissful day next time which will lead them to experience nature in different ways. No matter how trivial idea you possess, keep chasing it and act to materialize it. If you want to write a poem scribble it, if you want to draw create some shapes, if you want to play go out in the field, if you want to walk get out of your room and if you want to smile do it before anything else worries you. They are your inner voices which directs you towards a destiny more aligned with your 'being'. Locking the voices inside your mind will only cause damage to your existence, your creativity and your life. Laziness is the only natural compliment of daydreaming. The opportunity cost for daydreaming is a human life itself. And daydreaming is not worth any human life on earth.

Do before you get lazy enough to destroy your God gifted resources; your life, creativity and future. Act, do not give life any chance to regret.

2 comments:

  1. What an enjoyable and intellectually entertaining post! The cradle of introspection conquers all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Mr, Toor. Its your approach and thinking paradigm that gives this post a value.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...